Interleague Rules: 17U
- In the event of rain, an announcement concerning the scheduled games for that evening will be posted to the website of the host team. Example: If Mount Pearl was playing in Paradise, they would need to refer to Paradiseâ€™s website.
- The playoff format will be posted by mid-August.
- The distance between the bases shall be 80
- The distance from the point of home plate to the front of the pitching rubber shall be 54
Rules of Play
- All games shall be played in accordance with regular baseball rules as contained in the Official Rules of Baseball published by Baseball Canada except where modified by the rules detailed in this document and the BNL Manual.
- Games will start when each team has a minimum of 8 players. If a team cannot field 8 players by the scheduled start time, then the umpire will declare a default.
Duration of Game
Games played in St.Johnâ€™s:
- All games in fields with no lights shall be 6 innings and/or 2.5 hours in duration, whichever comes first.
- In fields where we have lights, all games shall be 6 innings and/or 2 hours in duration and no new inning shall start after 1 hour 45 minutes from the scheduled start time. If there is no 2nd game, the first game will be 6 innings. Field specific COVID regulations will supersede these rules if necessary.
Games Played in Paradise:
- All games have 2-hour time slots and will need to call the game at the 2-hour mark. The open inning will try to be called at the 1.5-hour mark.
For all games:
- Home team will be determined by the schedule.
- If, after the fifth inning (4 1/2 if the home team is ahead), one team leads by 10 runs or more, that team will be awarded the game. The game may be continued at the discretion of the coaches, but the result will be official after the 10-run rule is registered.
- The score shall be kept by the coaches and confirmed with the home plate umpire throughout the game.
- All players are in the batting lineup at all times. Players can rotate freely into the field defensively.
- Players must play a minimum of 2 defensive innings in each game.
- A maximum of 3 runs may be scored in any one inning, with the exception of the last inning which shall be open. The home plate umpire will inform the two coaches if the last inning comes before the 6th.
- Pitchers may only pitch a maximum of 3 innings per game.
- Pitchers can catch and then pitch, but cannot pitch and then catch.
- 9 defensive players are permitted on the field
- Players shall run on and off the field. We urge each coach to instill this in his/her players. It benefits everyone.
- All players must maintain normal baseball positions. Shifts will be allowed.
Game Play Rules
- Bunts are allowed
- Stealing is permitted
- When 1st base is unoccupied or there are two outs, the batter can become a runner on a catcherâ€™s miss of a third strike. The ball is alive and in play for runners that are on base.
- Lead offs are permitted
- Intentional walks will be permitted
- Runners can advance on passed balls including attempting to score at home plate